Do you remember the original Adidas Poppers from the early noughties? (I definitely had at least one pair!) Well, it seems they’re back on trend—sporty, colourful and with extra ventilation… What’s not to love?
I’ve been desperate to make a pair of red joggers for a while now, and this tomato coloured Ponte Fabric caught my eye. It’s a medium weight, so doesn’t curl much when cutting, making it much easier to handle and sew accurately compared to lighter draping jerseys. I did most of this make on the overlocker, with some of the finer details on the sewing machine. It sewed beautifully, but just make sure to use ballpoint needles on your machine.
Funnily enough, there is no pattern out there for popper joggers, so I had to do a lot of hacking on this simple Pattern to get the custom details I wanted.
I drafted a wide band of white jersey and added a charcoal stripe to finish off the sporty look. There was a lot of maths and head scratching involved in getting the construction right here—adding the correct width of facing, considering the new pocket placement and then remembering that the poppers would effectively act as the seam, leaving the seam allowance on the outside… it was a lot to figure out!
I used a mix of silver and gunmetal Poppers down the outside leg seams. You can buy them in small packets and attach them with home tools, but I’d highly recommend the Vario Pliers. This tool is invaluable for adding all sorts of hardware to your projects.
The top two poppers are non-functioning—they are attached through all layers with no way to ‘unpop’ them. This is because I didn’t want to be able to see the pocket bags through the gaps, so this section of the side seam is actually topstitched to keep it closed, with the poppers added afterwards for aesthetic reasons.
I had intended to attach a large Plastic Speedclip to the waistband as a built-in belt buckle but in the end I decided against it—I will be using these joggers for the gym, danceclass and yoga, so a big buckle on the front would probably just get in the way and might even cause pain!
By some fluke, the width of the tubular ribbing was exactly my waist size so I was able to create a seamless waistband, with wide elastic inserted to finish off the joggers.
If you’re not feeling up to a massive pattern hack or adding the popper closures, then this pattern would actually be a simple and speedy make by following the instructions as written. It would be a fantastic starter project for anyone new to stretch fabrics or for sewists trying out their first overlocker/serger.
I guess I have no excuse to avoid the gym now… (but I’m sure I’ll think of something, haha!)
Happy summer sewing, everyone!
Duncan