Posted on Saturday the 29th September 2018 by Thread Carefully
Have you seen Crafternoon Tea’s ‘Easter Vogue Dress’? I thought it was absolutely stunning, and I loved the bold, floral design of the Fabric. Like Samantha says in her post, the fabric is reminiscent of a Joules print. It’s described as a brushed cotton/flannel, but it’s a twill weave cotton and viscose mix, and doesn’t really feel like how you would expect brushed cotton to feel. It’s medium weight but soft and smooth, and I think it would suit a variety of projects. Plus, it’s an absolute steal at £3.99 per metre as it’s 60” wide!
As I am highly suggestible I decided I would use the fabric to make pyjamas – the perfect project for brushed cotton. I wanted to make traditional pyjamas with a matching shirt, so I went for the Closet Case Files Carolyn pyjamas pattern. It has lots of lovely design details, and the rich colours of the fabric seemed appropriate for an autumn/winter sewing project.
Tracing the pattern took me at least a full day as there are so many pattern pieces (and I traced the shorts as well). I didn’t realise how long this bit would take, so it kind of threw me behind schedule a bit and I didn’t manage to get the top sewn up in the same month as I made the trousers!
For the piping, I used ready-made piping for the first time ever. I was impressed with it: it was nice and soft rather than all stiff and scratchy. I have always made my own previously, but I thought this would save me a bit of time. I didn’t quite order enough, though, and I ran out with one sleeve cuff left to do, so I made my own for that cuff but it isn’t exactly the same as the pre-made stuff. I don’t think anyone except me would notice though!
The sleeves are mega long on me. I wonder if I misread the instructions or traced the pattern incorrectly or something. I think they’re nice and cosy being extra long, but they’re not exactly practical! I should alter them, but for the moment they can stay as they are.
I *just* managed to squeeze out a pair of matching shorts out of the leftover fabric, but I haven’t sewn those up yet. It will be handy to have both options though, and maybe if the sleeves drive me insane I could shorten them to go with the shorts!