Making the Lottie Dress
Posted on Thursday the 12th July 2018 by Athina Kakou
For this month’s Minerva Crafts make, I chose a pattern that screams summer, the Lottie dress by Sew Over It. This pattern is brand new and it was on my to-sew list ever since Lisa Comfort showed it on her channel last year. So naturally I decided to make it the minute it was released.
Unfortunately, I’m not 100% satisfied with the outcome. I had quite some fitting issues whilst sewing it and it required quite a bit of playing around in order to be wearable. But let me take it from the start. I cut my usual size 10, as I do with all Sew Over It patterns. This dress has very few pattern pieces, which is always a plus and its construction is fairly simple. You can definitely whip it up in a few hours. Everything went smoothly, until I tried it on to see if I needed to adjust the straps when I noticed a substantial gaping at the back neckline. At first I thought that I had to shorten the straps to pull the neckline upwards but it didn’t seem to help. So I searched online for pattern reviews and found out that other ladies had the same issue.
I put the dress aside for a couple of days and revisited the fit issues with a clear head. One of the ladies in the SOI Facebook group suggested sewing a piece of elastic under the bias binding at the back neckline, which I tried but it didn’t look good. So, here’s what I did to fix it: I took a RTW playsuit that had the same type of bodice as the Lottie dress and measured the length of the straps and the width of the back neckline. Then, I unpicked the bias binding, cut it to the desired length and gathered the back neckline until it had the same width as my new neckline binding. This seemed to do the trick and eliminated the gaping issue that I had.
After wearing this dress a couple of times though, I realized that the position of the straps is also too wide on me. Despite being the proper length, they tend to fall down. There is also quite some excess of fabric around my bust and hips, which doesn’t look very flattering. This makes me think that the next time I make this dress, I am going to chop off a few centimeters from two front pieces to make it more figure hugging.
The fabric I used to sew Lottie is this gorgeous Art Gallery Chambray Fabric from Minerva Crafts. It was a dream to work with, but in retrospect I think I should have used something less stiff for this kind of dress.
Overall, I am satisfied with the way my Lottie dress turned out after making all the alterations that I mentioned, but I’m not 100% sure that I will sew it again. I love the look of it on other people, but maybe it’s not so suitable for me. What’s for sure is that if I make it again, I’ll make sure I do the proper alterations on my pattern pieces before cutting out my fabric. This one can certainly be called a wearable toile and the good thing is that it looks amazing on my mom, so it will be very much loved even if I don’t wear it as often as I would like to.
I hope you found my review useful. Let me know if you made Lottie yourselves and had the same issues, as long as how you fixed them.
Until the next time, happy sewing,