Making The Rosie Dress
Posted on Thursday the 11th July 2019 by Athina Kakou
Hi everyone! I’m back to the MCBN this month with a summer dress!!!
We have been having some proper heatwaves lately with the temperature rising over 35 degrees every day. So, the only thing I want is to stay as cool as possible and have as little fabric as I can around my body, haha! My summer dresses have been perfect for work and I have been really enjoying wearing everything I made over the last couple of years.
Although I’ve sewn my fair share of summer dress patterns since I started my dressmaking journey, there are still many more that I’d love to try. But this year I am determined to make clothes that I can actually enjoy wearing frequently and not only for special occasions, hence I’ve been drawn to those patterns that can be easily styled up or down.
The Rosie Dress by Sew Over It is one of them. I have made the skirt version a few years ago and I really liked the style, so I wanted to have a go at this cute dress.
I chose to cut my usual size 10 in Sew Over It patterns but was aware that I might have to make a few adjustments to the bodice. After cutting out all the pieces, I assembled the bodice and tried it on. My mom very kindly helped me pin this in the back so I could assess the fit. As it was gaping a bit at the top on the sides, I decided to take it in by 1.5 cm starting from the top and grading down to nothing at the waist. I also adjusted the ties: I wore the bra I intend to wear with this dress and positioned the straps so that they would cover the bra straps. I had to make them a bit shorter as well.
I made the same adjustments to the lining pieces, stitched everything up, attached the skirt and inserted the invisible zipper. But when I tried the dress on, I realized that I would have to pinch out a bit more from the bodice side seam. So, I unpicked this part and adjusted both the main and lining pieces.
The dress is finished beautifully on the inside as it has a fully lined bodice. The skirt has some lovely fullness with the gathering all around and the big pleat on the front. I really love the style of this garment!
The fabric I chose to make it in was this beautiful Cotton Lawn from Lady McElroy. It creamed summer dress to me and I’m really pleased with my new Rosie! I think it was a good choice of pattern for this fabric and I’m sure I’m going to wear it a lot!
Overall, I found the Rosie dress a straightforward make. As with all fitted garments, you’ll have to keep in mind that some fitting may be required, but the princess seams make everything much easier to adjust. If you are unsure, you can always make a toile first. Apart from fitting, the construction is really easy!
I hope you like my Rosie dress :)