Making the Wattle Skirt
Posted on Thursday the 8th August 2019 by Athina Kakou
Hi everyone! I’m back this month with a new project that I’ve been wanting to tackle for months: the Wattle Skirt by Megan Nielsen. This pattern is another incredibly versatile design that comes in 2 versions, but you can also mix and match the different features to create even more styles. I have been admiring everyone’s versions ever since it was released and as I’m trying to focus on sewing more separates this summer, I knew it was going to be perfect for my wardrobe.
To create my Wattle skirt, I chose a Lady McElroy Crepe Fabric. Because of its drape, I knew it was going to be perfect for Version A, the bias cut skirt.
Working with a slippery fabric like that was definitely a challenge and I had to take my time during the cutting session. I followed Megan’s cutting instructions and cut my pieces on a single layer. Unfortunately, since I no longer have a big table, I had to lay the fabric on the floor. Let’s just say that cutting on your knees in a 40 degrees house with no air conditioning was challenging and leave it at that, haha!
Turns out, because of my situation and the fact that I was trying to finish the cutting as quickly as possible, I made a mistake and cut one pocket piece with the opposite direction. I almost cried when I realized it, because I had no fabric left! I managed to squeeze a new pocket piece out of a strip of fabric, but it certainly wasn’t accurate and I regret rushing, despite trying to be as careful as possible.
Anyway, thankfully I managed to save the project and started sewing the skirt. I followed both the instructions and the sewalong on Megan’s blog, which proved to be very helpful. The skirt was a breeze to make! I really loved the detail on the waistband and the way you get in the skirt by using an opening at the pocket. It is truly genius!
Because the skirt was cut on the bias, I had to leave it to hang for a couple of days. It dropped quite a lot so I leveled the hem and hemmed my garment.
Regarding the sizing, I went for the size 10. My waist is between 29 and 30 inches in the summer and I was a bit afraid that it might turn out a bit snug. However, even though I followed the button placement on the pattern pieces, it turned out a bit loose at the waist. So, I went back and moved my buttons slightly to get a better fit.
Overall, I’m pretty happy with my Wattle skirt. The only thing I don’t like is that the slash pockets hang a little bit and I remember having the same issue with the Brumby skirt by M.Nielsen as well. If I ever make it again, I will go back and redraft the pieces so I can omit the pockets – I know, I said it out loud! Sorry, pocket lovers :)
I hope you liked my skirt! Until the next time, happy sewing!