McCalls 6696 Pattern Hack
Posted on Sunday the 22nd October 2017 by Tip Top Sewing
I’ve been planning on sewing Gingham Fabric
for ages. It’s so appropriate for 50s summer vintage-inspired wardrobe. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any 100% cotton gingham fabrics in my local fabric shops. That’s why I had no doubts to pick one of Minerva Craft’s cotton ginghams for my next project for MCBN.
To make my project even more exciting, I decided to add another twist to it, which is a ricrac trimming and some serious pattern hacking. As you’ve probably already noticed from my posts, I hardly ever follow the pattern from A to Z. I love combining different ones with each other and achieving the look I like the most (I should probably start drafting my own patterns, I know).
That’s exactly what happened when I was working on this project. I wanted a shirt dress, but with short sleeves and a regular full circle skirt. I’ve been looking at McCalls 6696 Sewing Pattern
for quite a while and I thought that it’s finally the right time to try it. But, of course, I couldn’t avoid the temptation of hacking it, which involved adding a full circle skirt and a side invisible zipper.
The button placket ends just above the waistband, so I had to adjust it's length. As for the general fit, this pattern is a bit wide in the waist but tight in the shoulder area. It looks like that the whole idea of different cup size options didn’t quite work for me, because I had to adjust and extend the bust area a bit which is something that doesn’t happen with regular standard bodices that, as we know, are automatically designed for B-size. I also added an extra 1 cm in the underarm and sleeve area, even though I already used +1 size for the upper part of my bodice. In short, I used a smaller size in the waist and bigger one in the upper part. Sounds strange, but it worked.
As for the Fabric
, it was so easy to work with. It comes in such a beautiful selection of colours that it took me quite a while to pick one. My choice was the mint green because I’ve been planning on introducing this color to my wardrobe. I was having quite a few personal events this month (including moving house) so I had just a few days to sew this dress. This means I didn’t really match the checks. But I don’t think it’s a problem. I’d definitely match the stripes, but gingham is a different story.
To play with the check placement I cut my belt and waistband on the bias which also helps with the fit. To add a nice touch to my dress I decided to use some matching RicRac Trimming
. I sandwiched it between the details of my collar, belt and button placket. Even though the package doesn’t recommend to wash it, I pre-washed the whole roll and nothing happened to it. It didn’t get destroyed and the colour is still as bright as it was before. So you shouldn’t be afraid of washing this beautiful trimming. I think both the pattern and fabric make a great 50s style project and I’d highly recommend them to anyone who’s into vintage sewing.