The skirt is made with a beautiful Twill Fabric from Lady McElroy fabrics in Ivory. This would make a lovely skirt on its own without any trimming but I was tempted by the selection of Dookki Embroidered Trims and wanted to somehow incorporate some into my garment. There is plenty of choice both in colour and in style from floral to butterflies and a beautiful gold lace. I was spoiled for choice.
I wanted to make a midi length skirt and this Simplicity Sewing Pattern is perfect. It has various length options from above the knee to ankle length so this pattern represents great value for money. The longest skirt would be lovely in a flowing floral for summer and I picture the short one in a baby cord.
I was shocked when I came to decide which pattern size I needed to cut. To make a skirt cut to fit generously on the hips from this pattern I would have a garment with a 26" waist! Now I don't know about you but I haven't had a waist that small since I was at junior school and feel that it is ridiculous that the major pattern companies have not given actual modern body shapes any consideration.
It is not just this brand of pattern, I checked the sizing on other major brands too and they are just the same.
The "today's fit" range of patterns are more realistically sized as are most of the independent pattern brands. Luckily though the waist is one of the easiest measurements to adjust.
So, what to do. I had a good think and if I cut out a pattern to fit my waist the rest of the skirt would be massive.
So I started with measuring my waist and cutting out the waistband - piecing it in the centre - to give me an idea of how much extra ease I needed to add to my other pattern pieces.
I extended the top of the skirt pieces at the side seams by an extra inch to give me plenty of fabric to play with.
I folded the front facings along the fold line and added iron on interfacing. Then I tacked all the seams together and tried the skirt on pinning it at the centre front.
It was then a simple task to adjust the size by taking in or letting out the extended side seams.
When I was perfectly happy with the fit, I machined and neatened the seams.
For the waistband I used Petersham. I like using this because it gives a firm waistband which does not crumple.
To insert it stitch the waistband piece to the skirt right sides together. Press. Fold it in half and stitch the side edges flush with the skirt fronts. Fold it right side out and start to insert the Petersham, pinning as you go. The inside of the band needs to extend very slightly over the seam line so that when you stitch in the ditch from the right side the stitches catch the inside of the band down too.
This is my tacked waistband waiting to be stitched on with my sewing machine. Stitch on the right side then press it.
The next stage is to work the buttonholes and sew the buttons on - keep trying it on as it is still possible to make minor adjustments.
Finally measure and press a narrow double hem and top-stitch on the right side.
I played around with the trim for ages wanting to make the most of it. I thought of having it either side of the button band but I was left with a piece which wasn't long enough to add much to my design and was too large not to use.
In the end after much pinning and re-pinning I ended up with two rows of beautiful trim with only one small piece left over - which happily will make a lovely patch for a pocket. Perfect! 
I never expected the skirt to look as good as it does. It is incredibly smart but yet would be perfect with sunhat and sandals on holiday. This skirt will take you anywhere! 
I hope that you have enjoyed this post  and that you will explore these very beautiful trimmings.