Off the Shoulder Floral Dress
Posted on Friday the 15th June 2018 by Lady Sewalot
Hello all! This months Minerva project is a bit of a departure from the norm for me. A fitted silhouette is something I have avoided as I was always conscious that my figure wasn't a typical one that would suit a more fitted shape. However, trying new things is good and I wanted to give it a go with this dress.
I started with my self drafted leotard pattern, squaring off the neckline where I wanted it to sit off the shoulder. Then I drafted a quick stretch fitted skirt pattern for the bottom half. The off the shoulder band was the measurement around the body (including arms) where I wanted the neckline to sit and double the final width.
The fabric is a Ponte Roma
which is a stable knit suited to a more fitted dress. When fitting, I took some length out of the bodice and width out of the side seams for a slightly more fitted silhouette. The neckband was not cut in the direction of the greatest stretch so it is slightly physically restricting, and is also why it is not a band all the way round but angles out at the centre back instead. I think that there is still some excess room at the waist of the bodice back which I would remove for next time.
I love the colours in the fabric, but I am unsure as to whether the print really fits with the silhouette. As it's such a stable knit, it's really straightforward to sew and gave me no hassle. The underarms were finished with elastic which was then turned over and topstitched.
I think the front armhole needs some more fabric in it though. it's a little too far forward. The skirt does need to be pulled down constantly but I'm not sure if that's because the skirt is too fitted or if it's just the nature of a stretch fabric to cling.
Overall, it's a really fun dress for going out in and I feel pretty damn good in it. I look forward to making another version perhaps in a solid colour.
Thanks for reading and to Minerva Crafts for providing the supplies for this project!