Pretty Polly Dust Cover
Posted on Wednesday the 12th September 2018 by Red Sews
Hi there! For this month’s Minerva project, I decided to go for something a little different and step slightly away from my usual dressmaking projects.
Like a lot of home sewists, I have both a sewing machine and an overlocker. I’m fortunate enough to have a dedicated space (albeit one with no natural light at all) and so both my machines are out on a small desk all the time. My sewing machine came with a hard cover, so when I’m not actually using it, it is mostly protected from dust etc. My overlocker though is not so fortunate, and I was starting to see the difference in its appearance.
Enter Closet Case Patterns. They recently published a blog post which includes a free pattern for both a sewing machine and overlocker cover, to be made up in some sort of sturdy material (denim, canvas, etc.) I decided it was time to treat my machine to a suitably colourful cover up!
I have seen the Fabric I selected all over the place over the last year or so and have been trying to think of a project to match it to. I absolutely love the vivid colours and parrot print; however, it’s described as a canvas so I wasn’t convinced I had a suitable dressmaking project to match it to. For this, though, it seemed perfect; the right type of fabric with colours that will bring a little brightness to my dark little sewing cave!
When the fabric arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was and how much drape it actually had. It might actually be a little on the drapey side for this make, but I’m prepared to live with that for the sake of the print!
As with everything I’ve made from Closet Case Patterns, and despite being a free pattern, the instructions for assembling this were very clear and easy to follow. I chose to add piping to the mix, and instead of making my own include this lovely gold, sparkly Ready Made Piping in my Minerva kit.
If you were making a sewing machine cover, you had the option to add pockets to the front; however, for an overlocker, it’s literally two side pieces and a central piece. You add the piping around the edges of the side pieces and then attach the central piece, hem and you’re done. So it’s got the potential to be a satisfying evening’s project.
I have to confess that I decided to cut this out and make a start on it whilst suffering from a migraine. This was not sensible; it meant I kind of roughly cut around the central piece, wafted it somewhere near my overlocker and decided it would be fine. Realistically, I cut out something that’s rather wider than the pattern piece provided and therefore the finished result is slightly wider than it should be. So it’s not perfect. But that is entirely operator error, rather than anything wrong with either the fabric or the pattern.
All in all, I’m very happy with this addition to my sewing room. No further need to dust my overlocker, and a lovely bright splash of colour to greet me when I walk into the room; perfect!
Thanks for the great supplies, Minerva!