Hello everyone!

I’m back to the MCBN this month with a make that is very much out of my comfort zone when it comes to personal style. But I’m very happy I chose to make something different because I really, really loved the finished garment.

But, let me take it from the beginning.

Everything started when I saw the new Lisa Comfort Fabrics on the Minerva website. Having used her cotton lawns last year, I really wanted to try out the winter collection as well. I really liked both the print and the different colorways and the fact that they were crepe fabrics made me think that they would be perfect for Spring.

I picked the Silver colorway with the intention of making a blouse of some description. My inspiration was Lisa’s Pussy Bow Blouse that she made using the same fabric. I recently got a pair of high waisted jeans that would be perfect to pair with a loose-fitting blouse.

At first I wasn’t sure which pattern to choose. I am releasing a blouse pattern myself in a few weeks but I wanted to add something different to my wardrobe. Since I already had the Pussy Bow Blouse in my stash, I decided to give it a go. I actually got this pattern years ago and I made one back when I first started my dressmaking journey, but never finished it. I then cut out another one which still lives in my UFO box, waiting to be made. So at first I thought it would be wiser to make that one first and then cut into this beautiful fabric. But, impatient as I am, I went ahead and cut out a straight size 10.

I chose the version with the lower neckline and made the blouse in a couple of days. It isn’t a particularly difficult make, but it has some details that require extra attention. I really liked the overall construction and didn’t have any major problems, apart from the way the tie is finished at the center front. Despite following the marks on the pattern, my finish on the inside isn’t as good as I would have wanted and if you look close enough, you can see the raw edge at the top. I’m not 100% sure if this is due to my error or the pattern is designed that way. Never mind though, it’s hidden on the inside so I don’t really think about it.

Other than that, the way the neckline is finished was lovely. I very much like to hand stitch so this step was very therapeutic for me. I took my time and hand stitched both the tie around the neckline and the raw edge of the cuffs while watching a movie, which was very nice.

Speaking of cuffs, this is another pretty detail of this pattern. The sleeve hems are slightly gathered into a cuff that closes with a Rouleau loop and a button. I used a pearl button from my grandma’s collection which matches the style of the blouse perfectly.

Unfortunately, I have a big fit issue with the Pussy Bow Blouse. As with many other SOI patterns I’ve tried, the sleeves ended up very tight around the armhole. I had the same problem with the Ultimate Shift Dress but for some reason I didn’t make a toile to check the fit this time. If I had made my old UFO blouse, I would have noticed it and I would have fixed it or used another pattern.

It is such a shame because I adore the look of this blouse on me. I wore it with my high waisted jeans and pointy heels and it’s a style I don’t normally go for, but really really liked! I think I will still try to wear my blouse, but it is super uncomfortable to the point that I cannot lift my arms or bend. Taking it off is also a nightmare :(

Other than this fit issue, I loved working with the pattern and the fabric. I’m not sure if I would make it again, but I liked the style, I think it’s worth trying to fix the armhole issue and make another one in the future.

I hope you liked seeing my Pussy Bow Blouse.

Until the next time, happy sewing!

Athina