Red Boucle Cardigan
Posted on Tuesday the 26th February 2019 by Just Sew Helen
Welcome to my post for this month’s Blogger Network – a lovely bright red boucle cardigan/jacket. This boucle texture stretch Boucle Knit Fabric is a lot brighter than most things I wear but I just fancied a red cardigan that can be slipped on easily, without being too dressy.
I chose McCall’s Pattern 7254 version E being a little bit different with the addition of a peplum. Some of the pictures also looked similar to the fabric I had chosen hopefully making it the right choice.
I’ve never used boucle before, nor did I really know its’ composition, but I really liked the look of it and it was just what I envisaged for my cardigan. I looked it up on good old Google to get a better definition of the fabric – a boucle fabric is a heavy weight fabric made with boucle yarn. Boucle yarn has a length of loops of similar size which can range from tiny circlets to large curls. ...Boucle is woven wool that combines two or more shades of a colour to create texture. This particular fabric has a one way stretch.
With any stretchy fabric care needs to be taken when laying it out for cutting to avoid any misshaping. The fabric was easy to pin but slightly harder to cut due to the loops of boucle yarn. It had the added bonus of the back appearing very different to the right side making identifying right and wrong sides much easier when constructing the garment.
The use of Iron On Interfacing is essential to maintain the shape of the front collar and I also used a small piece for the shoulder seams where the pattern recommended using seam binding. Typically, I hadn’t got any seam binding and made the assumption that as long as it doesn’t stretch a piece of iron on interfacing would work the same, which worked well.
Although the fabric can fray I actually found it easier to work with than I expected. The one way stretch (horizontal) made sewing all the long seams, like the sides and sleeves, fairly easy and it did not stretch out of shape whilst sewing.
The facing and peplum is sewn in one piece with interfacing on one side. When it came to fitting this to the side front, I found the side front edge was too long for the collar/facing, even with the possibility of a gathering stitch. To correct this I made that side front edge less curved and attached the facing about 3 cms in, but this also decreased the overall size of that section. Luckily, the finished fit is fine and there would have been slightly more overlap without this correction. This will not be a problem as I rarely fasten cardigans.
All of the seams were double stitched and finished with a zig zag stitch and the jacket is perfectly wearable as it is. I have, however, now decided to bind all of the seams with some co-ordinating bias binding as I think it will wash and wear better over time.
I wasn’t sure if the shawl collar would be a bit too thick using boucle for this pattern but it went together well & is really comfortable to wear. I decided not to add a toggle fastener being unlikely to wear it fastened. Overall, I really like the shape of the back with the peplum and am pleased with the finished look & feel.
The fabric is surprisingly soft and not at all itchy around the collar, or when wearing on bare arms, and I am now more confident to make more items with similar fabric in the future.
Thanks to Minerva Crafts for the materials and to everyone for reading.
Helen - JustSewHelen.com