Posted on Wednesday the 8th March 2017 by Red Sews
Hi there! Welcome to my latest Minerva Crafts Blogger Network post.
I’m so glad to be publishing this post as I’ve been so pleased with this make, not showing it in all its glory on Instagram has been driving me slightly mad!
My triumphant make is the Tilly and the Buttons “Rosa” Shirt Sewing Pattern out of this rather lovely Floral Lawn Fabric. I wanted something that felt a little bit more spring like and this fabric certainly fits the bill. I was really pleased with it when it arrived; it feels absolutely beautiful, really smooth and soft. It also proved to press like a dream, ideal for making a shirt.
Rosa is a semi fitted shirt with a yoke back and princess seams, which give it a lovely flattering shape without having to mess around sewing darts (bonus!) I was slightly intimidated by the sheer number of pattern pieces. Not that there’s lots, but I’ve been making lots of jersey things of late so in comparison, yeah, lots!
However, as ever with Tilly’s patterns, it is beautifully drafted and the instructions are really clear, with lots of photos for reference. There are some great techniques included as well, such as the faux flat felling of the seams in most places (optional, but I wanted to push my skills so went for it).
I followed Tilly’s directions, finishing one half of each on the overlocker and cutting the other one down to half its size before enclosing it in the finished seam and top stitching from the right side. This gives a great finish, which I love! I didn’t use a contrast topstitch thread as suggested but another time I might!
I chose to make the original version of the sleeves, as per the pattern, so there are no cuffs. The bottom of the sleeve is overlocked, then folded up and held in place with a button and tab. I love this look but if you wanted a full sleeve and cuff, Tilly’s blog has a free download of those additional pattern pieces.
When it came to placing the buttons on the front placket, I ignored the placement from the pattern pieces. Instead, I tried the shirt on and marked where the fullest point of the bust was. Let’s face it, no one wants gaping there! I then used that as a reference point for the other 6 buttons, spacing them evenly with the help of my Simflex gauge (these appear to be tough to get hold of in this country; I really don’t know why, they are amazing and if you see one, you should snap it up!)
Combined with my Janome’s automatic buttonhole setting and a button foot for sewing the actual buttons, there was no wasted time getting the buttons in place!
I cut a straight size 4 and the fit is just perfect for me, which is unusual! But it means it’s very true to size. And it works perfectly with my jeans, smartening them up nicely for work with the new dress-down dress code.
I’m utterly thrilled with this and there will be more: thanks for the supplies Minerva!