Posted on Saturday the 8th July 2017 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello again my lovelies! It’s July already and time to showcase my next Minerva make!
I’ve gone super summery with my latest make – the Satsuki dress/tunic from Victory Patterns. It was my first time using Victory patterns so I was interested to see how they compared to all the other indie designers out there! I hadn’t seen many of this pattern around, just a handful on Instagram, so it was difficult to judge how it was going to end up!
The pattern features an open batwing sleeve, and options for an exposed cold shoulder look and either a frill or a plain front. It’s a beginner pattern so I hoped I was in for a nice straightforward make!
I liked the idea of making the cold shoulder dress version as a beach cover up and as I’m planning a nice long holiday to Cuba later this year I figured this would be a great one to take with me! (I’m actually not going until October. I’m just being super excited and keen!)
I picked out this bright blue bird print Fabric to make it out of. The colours just popped! (Plus it really goes with my pink hair at the moment…). It comes in 3 colourways so there’s alternate options if your main goal isn’t to try to match it with pink hair! It’s a polyester with a slight stretch to it. It’s light and floaty and it dries really quickly so I know it’ll be great for the beach!
It’s quite a straight forward pattern to use. The dress is loose fitting and has no darts so there’s no real fitting issues here at all! I made mine a fair bit shorter than the original. Blame that on my short legs!
I found the curved hem of the sleeve a bit fiddly but it’s nothing a bit of patience (and a good steam iron) wouldn’t solve though. I chose to lower the stitch line of the side seam by a couple of inches to have a bigger arm opening (the stitch line goes over the bodice to close the open wing of the sleeve) just for a bit of extra ease and comfort.
I think I would’ve liked bigger shoulder openings as well. I don’t have massive shoulders, they’re pretty narrow as well and the opening seem a bit lost on me. They’re definitely not the feature I thought they would be on the design.
I also chose not to make the matching belt to go with it – it just seemed like too much print! I’ve paired mine with a simple black belt for the moment but I may go back to make the belt later on if the mood strikes!
And here it is!
Look how pretty that fabric is!
I really like how this dress fits. It’s cool and comfortable and will definitely be accompanying me on lots of holidays in future I think!