Sew Liberated Metamorphic Dress
Posted on Thursday the 21st February 2019 by Sewstainability
Hey Minerva Makers!
For this month’s Blogger Network post I’ve made a Sew Liberated Metamorphic Dress. This pattern has been on my radar for ages but the fabric requirements were holding me back. Because this pattern is made up of two layers, making the dress reversible, it takes up quite a lot of fabric. I struggled to justify buying 4-5m of fabric for one dress. I really wanted to make it this year so I decided to try and get creative and return to my sustainable roots! If you don’t know, I started my blog Sewstainability to document how I’ve been trying to make my sewing more sustainable, and with that in mind I came up with a great way to get some cheaper fabric for one of the layers!
I ordered some beautiful Art Gallery Rayon Fabric for the top layer of the dress. This fabric is so beautiful, the rayon is so fluid and the print is so pretty. I’ve been dipping my toes into floral prints lately but I just love any prints that are more foliage based like this one! As it’s nice and wide I only needed 2m for the top layer and this is perfect. For the bottom layer of fabric, I needed something that isn’t printed as it needs to be seen from both sides.
I decided that a fab way of achieving this would be to get hold of some cheap secondhand fabric and dye it. I had an old white embroidered tablecloth in my stash and decided to give that a go. I bought one of the Dylon Machine Dyes in colour ‘Emerald’ and chucked it in the washing machine along with my tablecloth and kept my fingers crossed.
Tip! The Dylon dyes will only dye natural fibres so it was really a gamble to know whether it would dye the embroidery, if the threads used were polyester or any other synthetic material they wouldn’t take the dye so I wouldn’t be able to use the embroidery in my project! Fortunately, the embroidery threads and the fabric all took the dye beautifully and it came out a perfect shade match to go with the Winterberry Pine rayon. What I love about the machine dyes is the fabric comes out such an even colour, no patchiness or variations in shade.
I cut out the pieces carefully so that the embroidery would be along the bottom of the skirt of the under layer and went about making the dress as instructed. The only change I made was to swap the pockets around. The instructions tell you to put patch pockets on the top layer and in-seam pockets in the under layer. Because the rayon is so fine and drapey, I didn’t want to put patch pockets on that layer and distract from the beautiful print, so I decided to put the in-seam pockets on this layer. As a result, I decided to put the patch pockets on my tablecloth layer as this has less drape and seemed to suit the patch pockets more. That’s right, this dress has FOUR pockets!
My measurements are 36, 32, 44 and I made the straight size 12. I am really happy with the length but there is a little too much room in the bust, it’s not a problem and I am super happy with the finished dress. I plan on trimming ½ inch off the centre front of the pattern before I make it again. I definitely think I will be making it again – I just need to come up with another fabric combo I like as much as this one!
I also really enjoyed making this, because it is fully reversible there is no binding to do or facings to deal with and because it just pops over the head there are no buttons or zips. It felt like a project I could really sink my teeth into and just enjoy the sewing. If I ever lose my sew-jo I will have to bear this pattern in mind as it is a really great reminder of the joy of sewing without any fiddly parts stopping the flow or getting in the way!
And before you ask, yes we did take the photos of both sides of this dress at the same time. So yes, it does mean I took my dress off and flipped it inside out stood next to the canal (disclaimer: I was wearing a t-shirt and leggings underneath!). Luckily there was no one around for miles but honestly, the things we sewing bloggers do to get the picture!!!
As always, a big thank you to Minerva for the supplies.
Until next time, happy sewing!