Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress
Posted on Friday the 5th April 2019 by The Unfinished Seamstress
Well, you know it’s a winner when everyone asks where you got your dress. I’m trying to get better about not volunteering the information that I made my dress, but when asked a direct question, I’m not going to lie…
I thought this Lady McElroy Cotton Poplin Fabric
would be perfect for a Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress,
and it does work really, really well. This print in directional (simply meaning that it has a definite right-side-up), which makes the pattern tetris, let alone pattern matching, slightly trickier - do bear it in mind. I still managed it with 2 metres (I’m a roughly a size 10 in SOI), but it was a close thing, and precise pattern matching didn’t look possible. If you could do it with 2 metres of a directional print, I take my hat off to you. I made a small cutting error as well, actually, but it all came out alright in the end - I won’t tell if you won’t.
The fabric is very lightweight, fantastic quality, and crisp as a new dollar bill. The colour saturation is gorgeous, and I love the print. It’s been quite a popular fabric in the blogosphere, I think, but for good reason - it’s just lush in every sense.
This was my first time sewing this pattern, besides a quick (as yet unfinished) wearable muslin of the bodice that will eventually be a nice shirt in itself. As you might have noticed, I don’t usually go for fitted styles, but lately I’ve been trying a few to smarten up my wardrobe a little bit. The nipped-in waist here feels smart to me, but not overdone - it’s still casual enough for my life. Fit-wise, I’ve rarely had to do so little to a pattern. The shoulders are narrow, the bust seems to run small, and the length is as you see, so considering that I’m small-busted and 5’2’’, you might find that it runs rather petite. I generally shorten patterns by as much as 4 inches; this is a simple serge and turn, hemmed by hand. I especially like the armscye. It’s drafted differently for the sleeveless version (it’s a red flag for me when pattern says to use the same armscye for both sleeves and sleeveless), and it feels just right to me. I’ve made a few Sew Over It patterns now, and I feel like the details are thoughtfully drafted - it makes it all the more of shame that their size range isn’t better. I do hope they are one of the pattern houses hoping to extend their sizing: this dress would suit just about everyone.
Overall, I would go so far as to say it’s a pattern + fabric match made in heaven. This pattern is a dream with really crisp lightweight woven like this poplin, or a lawn like this one
. I think it would also be excellent for a dotted swiss
or seersucker. As I tend to favour looser styles, I have a few lawns languishing in my stash, and now I know just what to do with them!
Thanks for reading, as always! Also, full disclosure, it’s still ever so slightly too cold for this just yet. Bonus dose of realism below. ;)