Simple Button Front Dress
Posted on Friday the 17th May 2019 by Lady Sewalot
Hello all! Something I’ve been yearning for in my wardrobe for a couple of years now is just a simple button front dress with a fitted bodice and gathered skirt and for this months Minerva Make I made it happen!
I used my princess seamed bodice blog as a base, squaring off the neckline and adding on 1cm to the centre front to make space for a button band. The skirt was two widths of the fabric gathered into the waist. The Fabric
is is a cotton/ramie linen and it has a wonderfully crisp hand which makes the skirt delightfully poofy. It presses like a dream and I’m intrigued to see if it softens up a bit in the wash.
Sewing wise it was quite simple to put together. I fully lined the bodice because the fabric was ever so slightly sheer, which conveniently finished all of the edges. It’s so pretty on the inside!
The skirt I gathered up with two rows of dental floss which was super quick and pain free. The hem was also a simple 1cm turned under twice and topstitched. I love hemming rectangles!
The issue began when I added the buttons and buttonholes to the CF. I wanted a tightly fitting bodice but forgot that when buttons and buttonholes are added to the mix it just doesn’t work very well. There’s strain on the buttons and gaps of flesh peek out and it’s just generally not pretty. I did horizontal buttonholes on this dress and I’m wondering if I would have had less stress with vertical ones. Anyway, it just wouldn’t do as it was so I took all of the buttons off and added a button band to the righthand side of the dress, giving me another 1.5cm of ease to work with. Then I added the buttons back on. 8 buttons was definitely optimistic. 11 would have been much more appropriate.
What I do love is the back of this dress. It fits so well with no gaping and I love the slightly unusual shape. I do also really like the halterneck ties. It is a really fun summer dress to wear and I just need the weather to catch up with me!
Thank you to Minerva for providing the materials for this project and to Harvey for taking the photos!