It's impossible to ignore the amount of culottes that can be seen popping up on Social Media just lately and I thought it was about time that I jumped in and made a pair for myself.
The pattern that I picked is Butterick B6178, as I have seen this particular pattern sewn up so many times in all sorts of fabrics, all of which looked great, so decided that this would be a good one to start with. The pattern is also described by Butterick as 'fast and easy' which is always a good thing!
I chose to make view D, which is the blue pair shown on the pattern cover image. This is the version without pleats, and has waist darts at the front and back instead. Other versions on this pattern have a choice of single or double pleats and different leg lengths.
My fabric choice is a wonderful Florenza Crepe Fabric. I have used the navy blue shade and it's a stunning dark inky blue which I am really pleased with. Minerva have a whole rainbow of colours available in this fabric type, so do check out the other shades available, and it is very reasonably priced at £4.99 per metre. The crepe is a light to medium weight and has such good drape. It is buttery soft and I think suits this pattern perfectly. 
Although I didn't find the fabric difficult to work with, to avoid any chance of slipping when cutting out, I used a rotary cutter and self healing mat. In fact this is my chosen method of cutting out regardless of fabric type - it's so much faster than pinning and cutting. I transferred any notch pattern markings straight on to the fabric using a little snip in the fabric and used Tailor's Tacks to mark the dot placements.
The culottes came together really quickly and easily - the only adjustment that I made was to raise the crotch height by 1/2".
I decided to leave out the pockets on my pair too, as I wanted the finish to be really smooth. 
The culottes have a 7" zip fastening at the centre back, and also use a hook and eye. All pretty straightforward.
I am totally in love with this make. I love the practicality of these culottes, and also how cute they are. I have styled them here with a simple t-shirt and trainers, but they could be easily dressed up with a camisole top and heels. In the future I can imagine making them in a linen or linen blend, or a chambray pair would be lovely too.
I would highly recommend this pattern as a good place to start if, like me, you are making culottes for the first time. I did make up a toile before cutting into this beautiful crepe, and this enabled me to decide that I needed to alter the crotch height. I'm so happy that I have finally made some culottes, and can easily see what all the fuss is about now. Many more of these will no doubt follow, I love them.
Thank you so much to Minerva for the supplies that they have sent me to make this project. Always the highest quality, I couldn't be happier with them. For more of my sewing adventures you can find me over at www.sewdainty.co.uk and in the meantime I look forward to starting work on next months Minerva Make, which is going to be a jacket. How exciting!
Take care and happy sewing,
Kathy x