Hello everyone,
Sewing polo-shirts is fun for so many reasons. It's quite easy, it gives you a chance to master quite a few dressmaking skills and it's usually a purely selfless sewing experience.
Sewing a polo-shirt for my husband was a long awaited project. It's not only a nice gesture, but quite an important one as well: he likes really long shirts, which is not something that's common in ready to wear collections, yet is so easy to sew! It took me quite a while to finally sew him one for two main reasons: no pattern and no fabrics. I was surprised to find out that most of the polo-shirt patterns are way too complicated for something so simple. They have many unnecessary details that could only count for a dress shirt. Luckily, I discovered the Simplicity Pattern 1286. 
It's exactly what I needed minus long sleeves, which is probably the smallest adjustment a seamstress could ever imagine. The fabric I picked for my first polo shirt was a really thin pique, which is fine but for hot summer days, while I wanted something more universal too. At some point, I checked all of his ready to wear polo-shirts and discovered that some of them are actually made of regular jersey. So I finally relaxed and started looking for more "traditional" jersey options, not only the special polo ones.
Many of the polo shirts are made with striped fabrics. The weight has to be at least medium for a classic polo look. And that's exactly what this Cotton Jersey Fabric from Minerva is. In my opinion, it's not very easy to guess the jersey weight while buying it online, but this one is exactly what it says. Paired with the fact that the colour range of this fabric is absolutely outstanding, it all makes it the perfect choice for a polo shirt project. 
I let my husband choose the colour, of course. He picked mint green, so the next step was to find the right buttons. It's always possible to stay on the safe side and get white ones, but I was up for some risk. Luckily, I managed to avoid any bad surprises! All I did was searched for "mint green" buttons on the minerva website, and those I used for my project was the most appropriate choice. The colour match was simply unbelievable. The button's size is a bit bigger than what you'd usually expect to see on a polo shirt, but I believe it's not a problem at all.
I wouldn't be myself if I wouldn't make this project as neat as I could. I stabilized the shoulder seams and slits with handmade cotton bias binding tape, top stitched sleeves, shoulders and sleeve bands. I didn't use a serger for this project, so my choice was a stretch machine stitch along with a zig-zag one to finish the raw edges. 
Speaking of sewing machines, the only appropriate needle choice for polo shirts is a ball point one. I'd also highly recommend using ball point pins (Ive included both these things in my materials list for you). They don't pierce through the fabric but spread the threads. This allows you to avoid any accidents while pinning your jersey fabric, and you'll have a lot of pinning with stripes!
This pattern and fabric form a perfect duo for a nice polo shirt. According to my husband, it’s very comfortable and he really likes the way it feels.
Thanks Minerva!