That 70s skirt - Pauline Alice Rosari Skirt
Posted on Saturday the 18th February 2017 by Not Sew Simple
I can't believe it's already my third post for the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network!
I've been thinking about wardrobe basics a lot recently and a blue denim skirt is the perfect example. It's been quite a while since I made a skirt and I really wanted to tie into the current trend for all things 70s.
The Pauline Alice Rosari Skirt Pattern is an A line skirt - you can make it in two different lengths with a variety of different pockets at the front and back.
I went for a midi skirt length, with rounded pockets at the side and a cute coin pocket insert and patch pockets at the back.
To really emphasise the 70s look I chose a rich blue denim fabric with wooden buttons and used contrasting top stitching thread in a gold shade.
This is the Art Gallery Fabrics Denim in Bluebottle Field and it is really lovely - it has a textured surface with threads of a brighter blue running through - which you can just see in the close up pictures - giving a really rich deep colour. The other colourways are also very tempting - I love the evergreen slate. This is a fairly substantial denim - it doesn't really drape, so the A-line style of the skirt is definitely emphasized. It was very easy to sew with - my machine managed all the seams without any problems - even bulky spots on the side seams where the pockets join. I used flat-fell seams for the side and centre back seams so that all the raw edges are neatly enclosed - and more opportunity for top stitching!
I used cotton fabric for the pocket linings and inside of the waistband to minimise bulk - and because who doesn't love secret print pockets!
I decided to really go for it with the jeans style top-stitching! I have always been wary of contrast thread top-stitching as you can really see any mistakes or messy bits so I took it very slowly, and I love how it turned out! I used this Gutemann Top-Stitching Thread with regular thread in the bobbin, chose a longer stitch length (3 on my Janome) and slightly reduced the tension.
I confess that I wasn't able to make neat buttonholes using the top-stitching thread - clearly I need a bit more practice! After two attempts I gave up and used regular thread on all but the top button-hole. I used the top stitching thread to sew on the buttons instead as the gold colour worked really well with the wooden buttons.
This is definitely a quick project - even with all the buttonholes at the front. I sewed up everything but the hem in one afternoon. The instructions are really clear and very detailed - with a helpful glossary of all the sewing terms. This project would be ideal for a beginner.
I'm really pleased to tick this skirt off my 2017 makenine list!