The Deer and Doe Magnolia Dress
Posted on Saturday the 13th July 2019 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello again! It’s Emily from Self Assembly Required back again for one more post!
Another month has flown by and I’ve got one last wrap dress to show you!
Ok so this one is more of a faux wrap than a true wrap style but I’m lumping in the same category – it’s the Deer and Doe Magnolia Dress!
The Magnolia dress is a relatively recent release from the French indie pattern company. It features a mock wrap style bodice, a panelled A-line skirt and sleeves. It comes with a lot of options – two different depths of V neck, two skirt lengths and two differing sleeves - so you can mix and match it to fit your style. The neck edge is finished with a bias binding and there’s a side zip and waist ties for closure.
I chose to make View A which included the lower cut bodice, a maxi length skirt and long gathered sleeves which end in elasticated cuffs. I’m really into the whole boho, maximalist trend at the moment so this seemed right up my alley!
I wanted to keep this dress light and floaty and chose my fabric accordingly. I ended up picking out a lovely poly georgette in the lightest of pinks and covered with peach toned flowers. I wasn’t sure how opaque this fabric would be (I find some georgettes are doable without a lining but some aren’t) so I also got a fabric to line it. I probably didn’t make the best choice with my lining fabric – I picked a polyester chiffon which was a bit of a bad idea as it was far too sheer to be much use – but I loved the coral tone I went for. It complimented the colour in the flower design so well!
In the end, I only lined the front bodice and the waistband pieces. The front bodice is meant to be lined anyway so it wasn’t an “extra” thing I had to do. For the waistband, I basted the lining to the main fabric and treated it as one. After I’d done all that I realised it didn’t make a huge amount of difference so I ended up not lining the skirt as I’d originally planned. I might still do it at some point in the future but it would be more for the pop of colour where the split is rather than because it’s helping with any further coverage.
The pattern itself was a dream to sew. I love Deer and Doe patterns in that they always tend to fit me really well without much adjustment. The only thing I did to alter the pattern before cutting out was to shorten each bodice piece by 1.5cm – a normal adjustment for me as I’m a lot shorter than the body it’s drafted for – and to shorten the sleeve to make it ¾ length. I also took about 2cm off the hem and gave myself a deeper hem allowance than the pattern asked for.
I think I’ve really achieved what I wanted with this dress – it’s long and floaty and so very boho chic. I love how it fits, especially the bodice. If I made it again I’d make more dramatic sleeves though!