The Goldfinger Dress
Posted on Wednesday the 13th December 2017 by Red Sews
Hi there! How are you gearing up for Christmas? Are you all sorted or are you more of a last minute kind of person?
I’m usually somewhere in the middle, but today’s make may be useful to those of the last minute persuasion; this very glamorous party frock took me less than two hours to make up and is super comfy; wins all around!
I chose to use some rather fabulous stretch Velvet Fabric. This golden stuff is very soft to the touch and has a jacquard design imprinted into the fabric. I was very pleased when it arrived as, whilst it’s soft and velvety on the outside, the reverse is smooth and shiny, almost like a scuba finish. Since I was making this into a dress, this finish makes lining or wearing a slip totally unnecessary; always a bonus!
The Sewing Pattern I chose is styled on the envelope in a very casual fashion, and I think it would work really well in a stable ponte knit for casual wear. However, I thought it would also work as a kind of body con dress so ploughed ahead with the Deer and Doe “Givre”.
The pattern has a sleeved dress, a sleeveless dress and a top version, which I like; it makes it so much more useful. In its original form, both the bodice and the sleeve have a seam across, allowing for some colour blocking. I was going to make it as designed, but then wasn’t sure that it would look right with the elaborate fabric. I really wanted the pattern on the fabric to be the star, so I decided to eliminate that seam.
Doing this was really straightforward. It was simply a matter of overlapping the top and bottom pieces of both the bodice and the sleeve by the seam allowance to form a single pattern piece. This meant that instead of two pieces each for the front and the back and two pieces for each sleeve, I only had one to deal with: even faster sewing!
My measurements put me in between size 40 and 42. Ordinarily, I’d grade between the two, but I didn’t want the dress to be really snug, so I cut the larger size and I think it was the right decision for me.
Construction was really simple; I did most of it on my overlocker, using black thread, and just finished the hem, sleeves and neckband on my sewing machine. There, I used my walking foot and a ballpoint twin needle. The twin needle worked really well; for the very first time, I got my machine to make this finish work, having had the tiny screw on the side of my bobbin case pointed out to me. Moving this just a fraction of a turn made a world of difference and I love the finish it gives.
I wore this for a friend’s 40th party (excuse the badly lit photos!) and felt brilliant in it; thanks Minerva!