The Harriet Lumberjacket
Posted on Saturday the 11th November 2017 by Self Assembly Sewing
Hello lovely people! It’s Emily again from Self Assembly Required. Can you believe I’ve been doing these posts for a year already? This is number 12! Time has flown by and I have a pile of gorgeous clothes to show for it!
This make I’m sharing with you today is a really special one and one I’ve been working towards for a little while. It’s the Harriet Lumberjacket Pattern from Named Clothing!
I’ve had this pattern in my stash for quite a while now. I’d always loved the style but couldn’t quite get up the nerve to actually make it. It just looked so complicated!
Well this winter I was determined to start making more coats and jackets and to be honest I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed making them and I’ve not really run into any trouble yet (fingers crossed)!
The Harriet Lumberjacket is an oversized biker jacket. It’s got an asymmetric zip and wide collar. It is fully lined and interlined as well for extra warmth. It features little belt tabs on the sides with popper buttons and elbow patches. It also has 2 double welt pockets. In addition to this I added in an internal pocket and a hanging tab at the neck.
If you’ve ever wanted to make this jacket, now is the time! This style is all the rage this winter! It’s got the perfect balance of warmth and casual style which I love.
Named recommend using a medium to heavy weight wool coating and a faux fur contrast and to my luck I managed to find both with Minerva Crafts!
I used some sew in Vilene interfacing as my interlining. You could use something thicker for more warmth though. I also chose not to interline the sleeves of my jacket as I was worried it would make them too stiff and boxy. If I’d used a softer interlining, I think I would have preferred to have the extra layer! I used a patterned cotton from my stash for my lining.
This pattern requires a lot of fusible interfacing as well so don’t forget to add that to your shopping basket! Named Clothing like to reinforce all the seams on their coats so I ended up adding fusible interfacing to nearly every seam. The hope is that this will help to produce a more hard-wearing garment that can be worn for years!
I’m really pleased with how all my pattern matching turned out! I could’ve tried to match up the sleeves too I guess but to be honest I didn’t mind as long as it was all symmetrical!
The only thing I kind of wished I could change about this make would, perhaps, be to use a thicker thread to topstitch. I think it could do with a little more definition, especially on the back seams and the elbow patches. It got a little lost in all that plaid!
Here are some close-up details!
(By the way I’ve used 12.5mm sized metal snaps here. I wouldn’t recommend using anything larger than that!)
I used the contrast fur for my back facing for some extra snuggliness! (And snuck on one of my tags!)
The best tip I could ever give in the coat making process is to take it one step at a time! The way these instructions are laid out mean that as long as you don’t rush ahead and get overwhelmed, it’s very easy to just follow step by step and achieve the coat of your dreams!
It took me about a week of slow sewing in the evenings in order for me to finish this jacket. It was definitely worth taking my time and doing each step to the best of my ability because I am in LOVE with the result. It’s some of my best work (if I do say so myself) and I’m really proud of how it’s turned out!