The Joni Dress
Posted on Monday the 26th November 2018 by Milly Noel
While I consider myself fairly experienced when it comes to working with Woven Fabrics, I’ve only used Knit Fabrics a handful of times. It’s something I have wanted to get better at for a while and when Tilly Walnes released her Stretch! book I knew I had to get my hands on it. I saw Tilly’s Instagram sneak peek of the book before its release and immediately fell in love with both the Joni and Freya dresses. I decided to tackle the Joni dress first.
The Joni dress has an empire waistline, amazing twist detail at the neckline, and a perfectly twirly skirt. I made a size 5 and lengthened it by a 2-3 inches to make sure it wasn’t too short. I decided to go without an FBA since the fabric I used was fairly lightweight and quite stretchy; however, now that I’ve made the dress, I know that I could have done with a bit more room around the bust area. I used the elbow-length sleeve option and added elastic ruching at the sleeve hem.
I wanted to make my first variation of this dress as close to the original pattern as possible so that I would know exactly what to tweak to make a “perfect” version. And, as I suspected, there are a couple of things I would change. I am not a huge fan of where the waistline hits so I am definitely going to be lengthening the bodice by a few inches for any future versions.
The other detail that annoyed me a great deal was trying to get a clean finish around the neckline. I think it was partially due to the fabric, but try as I might I couldn’t get the neckline hem to look right. I ended up re-doing it at least two times and I’m still not entirely happy with how it turned out. I think next time I would try a different method than the one recommended in the book.
Isn’t this Fabric gorgeous? I absolutely love the floral print with those pops of orange and blue! I was worried that this fabric was going to be too lightweight for my dress. It was a bit of a bear to work with because it isn’t super stable, but that drape! I made sure to use Clear Elastic to stabilize the shoulders and waist seam so that over time it won’t stretch out and get droopy.
I have some stunning burgundy knit fabrics all ready to make my sister and I semi-matching dresses for my December Minerva Crafts project. My sister will have a Joni dress and I’m going to attempt Freya for myself. I also let my mum try on my Joni dress and now she wants one too so I’ll be getting plenty of practice perfecting this pattern!