Two Lovely Fabrics
Posted on Monday the 9th March 2020 by The Athenian Maker
Hello Minerva makers,
For this month’s post I chose two lovely fabrics, the first one is Lady McElroy cotton twill in a moss colour, in reality it is a bit darker than what you see in my pictures. The second fabric is stretch cotton sateen with white, yellow, and black wavy stripes.
I started with the cotton twill, my plan was to make pattern 110 from Burdastyle Magazine 01/2020, a skirt design featuring paperbag high waist, wide belt and center back zipper. It comes in sizes 34 to 42 and it was strange that it stopped at size 42 as usually they make all the patterns up to size 44 which is my size but in this issue all the patterns went up to 42. As the design is really simple I just graded it up to fit me, the seam lines are almost straight so it was very easy to do that.
The construction of this skirt was really easy too, you just have to pay attention at the folding of the pleats and follow the marks otherwise the waist will be smaller or bigger depending on whether you fold those pleats further or inner the marks. I wanted to add a lining to give it more structure, also I decided to add a little trim on the side seams and around the belt, I don’t really like to embellish my clothes but every now and then it is nice to do something different and I find that this trim goes really well with this skirt.
As for the second fabric, when I ordered it and saw that it was sateen, I had in mind satin fabric, I always confuse these two and even now after googling both terms I’m not quite sure of the exact differences but to me satin is a shimmery fabric with drape and that was what I was expecting to receive and make a blouse with it. Off course, that was not the case as this is a sateen fabric so I quickly changed my plan and made a light jacket for spring with it.
The pattern I used is Vogue 2454 by Marc Jacobs, as per envelope description, it is a semi fitted, fully interfaced, lined, above hip jacket with slightly raised front neckline, back neck band, side panels, pockets and tucks on front and back of the jacket as well as on the sleeves, it also features a hidden button placket.
Now with this one I took so many shortcuts to bring it more to what I had in mind. Firstly, I didn’t want a structured jacket so I didn’t interface it and I did not add a lining, I did not close the back tucks as I wanted a loose fit and also I decided to add a metallic zipper instead of buttons . I do like the design as it is in the pattern and I might make it in the future as it is but at the moment I’m satisfied with the modifications I made and this jacket will be perfect to wear over jeans and my new skirt.