Updating my Sewing Room with a Machine Cover!
Posted on Monday the 10th September 2018 by Sew Sarah Smith
When Closet Case Files released their free Serger and Sewing Machine cover pattern
back in April this year, I knew immediately I wanted to make it. My sewing machine came with a hard cover which is fantastic but my Brother 1034D overlocker came only with a plastic dust cover which, weirdly, never seem to fit properly. And then I went and melted an hole through it by placing my hot iron down too close to it. Time to upgrade!
At the beginning of the year, I also made some quilted machine mats
for both my machines. It was such a satisfying project and they’ve proved indispensable so I was definitely up for making my own serger cover too. I opted for this fab vintage inspired Cotton Poplin Fabric
in the Silver Grey colourway.
As I’ve something of a fair reputation as a lover of sewing tools and gadgets, it seemed apt! Whilst a poplin has a firmer hand than say, a cotton lawn, I also knew that I’d need to reinforce it so it held its shape so I ‘backed it’ with some traditional natural coloured Fusible Interfacing
. You’ll only need 1m of both.
I also needed approximately two metres of piping. Now, I’ve never used piping before so I decided to go the full hog and make my own. The beauty of this, of course, is that you can make it to the exact width you require so that you can sew the raw edge of the piping flush with the raw edge of your main fabric. This pattern has a 3/8” seam allowance so I took that into account and merely allowed a little extra width to accommodate the Piping Cord
to determine what size bias tape to cut. And yes, I made that myself too from some leftover black cotton batiste I had in my stash. I used my invisible zip foot to sew the cord in, moving my needle position as close to the cord as possible. Simples!
The pattern is naturally generic in size and accommodates a machine with the dimensions up to 12” long x 12” high x 14” deep. I measured my machine which, at its widest (longest) point was 14”. There is some wiggle room in the pattern but nevertheless I decided to add the extra two inches of central width to the main piece as the last thing I wanted was a cover that was so fitted I would actually have to spend more than a nanosecond putting it on; when I’m clearing up after a marathon sewing session, I just want to be able to chuck it on and leave the room!
The pattern file is sent to your email inbox from a link on the Closet Case Files’ website. If you’re interested in making the sewing machine cover as well, this is slightly more involved as it has the option to add a pocket. As for the serger cover, it’s incredibly simple to sew together; there are just the two angled side pieces and the main body, with the piping sewn in between. There are full tutorial for making your own bias tape, piping, sewing piping in as well as full instructions to make the covers on their website too so you can’t go wrong!
I’m really pleased with the finished cover. I’d almost go as far to say my sewing machine is now jealous of my serger ... but that might make me sound a bit weird (I am!)
Thank you once again Minerva for sending me such fab supplies in order to make this! I’m happy now my sewing space looks organised and, dare I say it, professional. Now to get on with sewing a million other things!