Vintage Shirt Dress
Posted on Sunday the 11th June 2017 by Alice's Sewing Adventures
This month I’ve gone for a summery make (although the weather didn’t quite cooperate with this) - the Vintage Shirt Dress Sewing Pattern from Sew Over It. I think this just might be my new favourite pattern.
The vintage style of this dress is definitely more 1940s than the 1950s styles I’m usually drawn to. Although probably an intermediate level pattern, the construction is a lot more straightforward than I imagined. It has darts in the bodice and skirt to give it shape, gathered shoulders and three-quarter length cuffed sleeves. It has a lovely rounded collar, lapel and a button band all the way down the front. You could certainly make this for a special occasion, in a Crepe Fabric or Silk Fabric. Or you could make a plainer everyday version for work. I’m currently dreaming up a navy version with Liberty fabric covered buttons.
This fabric is this vintage style Cotton Poplin Fabric in the grey colour way. It’s a lovely medium weight cotton with a soft finish. It works really well for this dress – crisp, but summery. The pattern on the fabric was a little larger than I had anticipated, which made pattern matching a bit tricky with the 3.5 metres I was working with (so Ive included 4 metres in my materials list for you). The width of this fabric is only 44 inches, so just check your fabric requirements from the back of the pattern envelope carefully. It comes in three other lovely vintage tone colour ways.
I love the fit of this dress. The lapel, first button placement and roominess of the bodice means it doesn’t gape at the bust, which makes a refreshing change! As usual for me, I had to take the shoulders in by 1.5cm. Next time I make this pattern I think I will add 3cm or so to the length too. For me, it could come in at the waist a bit more, but I’d want to be careful not to ruin the overall hang of the dress. Or perhaps size down. It’s quite a generously cut pattern.
When choosing the size, use the finished garment measurements as a guide. You might need to size down for this pattern.
I love the finish of Covered Buttons. I used Hemline ones. They’re loads of fun to make too!
Be careful where you’re placing the buttons. It’s important to have one at bust and one at waist, and even spacing between them. I increased the spacing as I went down the dress – 6cm on the bodice, 8cm at the top of the skirt, increasing to 10cm by the bottom of the skirt.
I’m going to be taking a little break from the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network now to work on a new venture of my own. If you’d like to keep up-to-date with my exciting project, I’ll be blogging about it at www.alicessewingadventures.com. I’m hoping to be back to the Blogger Network later in the year.