Even though it's already Autumn, I still can't stop sewing summer dresses. What could be more exciting than to create something lightweight and made of a dreamy Floral Fabric? Those were my thoughts when I was picking the next project for Minerva Crafts Blogger Network.
Recently I fell in love with viscose challis. I was avoiding this material for quite a few years, but rediscovering its glory was truly amazing. I guess it's the fantastic range of Viscose Challis Fabric on the Minerva Crafts website that regained my admiration for this fabric. I've already sewn one dress out of this material a few months ago and I couldn't wait to make more dresses that give that unbelievable feel of coolness in the heat and warmth in the cold!
My pick was this pink Viscose Fabric. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it in the "new arrivals" section and I immediately started thinking of what pattern to pair it with. I had different ideas but my choice was Burda Style Gypsy Dress pattern. I've already used it for a cotton poplin dress and it worked beautifully for material that has quite a lot of body to it. Since the pattern is originally designed for lightweight materials, I knew it's going to be an appropriate choice. I've picked this design because it has a beautiful vintage inspired turtleneck collar, decorative self-covered buttons and voluminous raglan sleeves. I omitted the original layered gathered skirt and made a 3/4 one, that's a bit longer than I'd usually make it. It just felt right to make it a bit longer and give it a more romantic look.
I didn't change the bodice of the dress much, since I already knew that I'm happy with the fit. I did add an extra detail to the sleeves, which are cuffs instead of elastic.
I finished this dress fully with French seams and bias biding tape in the side seam where the invisible zipper is. I believe it's the neatest option for viscose challis that not only makes the inside just as pretty as the outside, but also will prolong your garment's life.
I really enjoyed working with this fabric. It's beautiful, drapes nicely and presses easily. Using 3 metres of it was just enough for the skirt I've chosen to sew. I had to cut the length on the belt a bit though, but it's not a big deal.
To make my dress even neater I decided to line the facing not only with interfacing, but also with some lining. The idea is that I have a clean finish on the edge on the facing and my interfacing is all "locked" inside of 2 layers of fabric, so it won't be destroyed during washing which is something I'm always paranoid about after seeing it happening with RTW clothes. Another good thing is that it won't really add much extra time to your sewing and it doesn't require meters of fabric - I used tiny scraps that were left from my previous project for MCBN.
I'm really happy with this project and I can't wait to wear it for an evening stroll. I'd highly recommend this fabric for any projects that require lightweight fabrics - from pussy-bow blouses to wrap dresses.
Thanks Minerva!