Camelot Fabrics Felt Basket of Fruits
Posted on Wednesday the 19th August 2015 by Camelot Fabrics
Time to Make: Afternoon
Finished Size: Basket approx. 5.5" x 5.5" x 2.25" (approx. 14 x 14 x 5.7 cm)
Basket Contrast: 1 Sheet of FELT
OTHER TOOLS & SUPPLIES
- paper printer
The Fruits are sewn with their Right Sides outward, so that your hand-stitched seams and
color-coordinated embroidery floss become part of the final design.
1. Print the Fruit templates
(pp 5-7) at 100% scale & cut out the
2. Trace each fruit pattern piece onto a folded double-layer of
Soft, as directed on the pattern template. Cut
out these pieces in Felt.
3. Cut your Hard Felt into a 9" x 9" square. Fold the top & bottom edges of your Hard Felt so that
they meet in the middle of the sheet. Finger press the creases &
open the fold. Rotate your sheet of Adhesive Felt this step, to form (2) pairs of paralled crease lines. Mark (4) points
as shown, where the creases intersect.
4. Cut a diagonal line from each marked point to its nearest
corner as shown.
5. Cut (2) 2” x 12” strips from your Hard Basket Felt.
6. Cut (2) 2” x 12” strips from your Contrast Felt
MAKING THE BASKET
1. Fold up the sides of the Hard Felt square so that the corners overlap as shown. The tabs on
(2) opposing sides should sit toward the outside of the Basket, and the tabs of the other (2)
sides should be toward the inside of the Basket.
2. Secure the folds with your blue and wrapping the top edges of the Basket with your strips of contrast as
shown, beginning & ending each strip at the meeting point of the outside Basket tabs.
3. Make the Basket’s Handle by sticking the (2) strips of Hard Felt together, but
leave 1” at either end unstuck.
4. Stick the ends of the Handle to the top edges of the Basket, overlapping the contrast joints as shown. The inner Handle piece should be stuck to the inside of the Basket, and the
outer Handle piece is stuck to the ouside of the Basket.
MAKING THE FRUIT
1. Stick each Watermelon Rind piece to a Watermelon Main piece as shown.
2. Stick a Watermelon Skin piece to each Rind piece, to make a 3-layer Watermelon slice.
3. Stick (6) Watermelon Seeds to each Watermelon Main piece, more or less at random, with
their pointed ends aimed toward the point of the Watermelon slice.
4. Sew the (2) completed sides of the Watermelon, Wrong Sides facing, using red embroidery
floss and a blanket stitch. Leave a 3”- 4” gap along one straight edge for stuffing.
5. Stuff the Watermelon slice with fibre filling or fabric scraps and sew the gap closed.
APPLE & PEAR
1. Stick each pair of Leaves & Stems together, and trim their edges.
2. Sew the (2) sides of each fruit, Wrong Sides together, with (1) Leaf & (1) Stem inserted
between the sides of the fruit as shown. Remember to leave a gap for stuffing! We used a
running stitch for these (2) fruits.
3. Stuff the Pear & Apple and stitch the gaps closed.
BANANA & LEMON
1. Sew the (2) sides of each fruit together and sew around their edges with a blanket stitch,
leaving a gap for stuffing.
2. Stuff the Lemon & Banana and stitch the gaps closed.